Do you care about community, design, computing, and research? We are looking for a person to grow the public impact of the Community Data Science Collective (CDSC) and Northwestern University Center for Human Computer Interaction +Design (HCI+D). We are hiring a full time Program Coordinator to work in both groups. This person will focus on outreach, communications, research community development, strategic event planning, and administration for both the CDSC and HCI+D.
Although a portion of the work may be done remotely, attendance for in-person meetings and workshops is required and the position is located in Evanston on the Northwestern University campus. The average salary for similar positions at Northwestern is around $55,000 per year and includes excellent benefits (compensation details for this position can only be determined by Northwestern HR in the hiring process). We’re looking for a minimum 2 year commitment.
These fall into four categories, with specific examples in each listed below:
- Outreach & communications
- Manage social media posting (LinkedIn, Mastodon, X, WordPress etc.)
- Post events to listservs and websites
- Advertise events such as the Collective’s “Science of Community” series and the Center’s “Thought Leader Dialogues”
- Build contact-lists around specific events and topics
- Share messages with internal and external audiences
- Research community development
- Recruit participants to community events
- Organize group retreats (3-4 year total)
- Engage with community members of both the Collective and Center
- Strategic event planning
- Develop and execute a strategic event plan for in-person/virtual events
- Collaborate with Collective and Center members to plan and recruit speakers for events
- Schedule and plan research meetings
- Track and report on collective and center achievements
- Draft annual research and donor reports
- Document processes and initiatives
- Ability to use and learn web content management tools, such as wordpress, and wikis.
- General organization
- Communication (be clear, be concise)
- Meeting facilitation
- Managing upwards
- Small/medium scale (20-50 people) event planning
- Creative thinking and problem solving
Candidates must hold at least a bachelor’s degree. Familiarity with event planning, community management, project management, and/or scientific research is a plus, as is prior experience in the social or computer sciences, research organizations, online communities, and/or public interest technology and advocacy projects of any kind.
About Northwestern’s Center for HCI+Design and the Community Data Science Collective
The Community Data Science Collective is an interdisciplinary research group made up of faculty, students, and affiliates mainly at the University of Washington Department of Communication, the Northwestern University Department of Communication Studies, the Carleton College Computer Science Department, and the Purdue University School of Communication. To learn more about the Community Data Science Collective, you should check out our wiki, blog, and recent publications.
Northwestern’s Center for Human Computer Interaction + Design is an interdisciplinary research center that brings together researchers and practitioners from across the University to study, design, and develop the future of human and computer interaction at home, work, and play in the pursuit of new interaction paradigms to support a collaborative, sustainable, and equitable society.
Please contact Aaron Shaw with questions. Both the CDSC and the Center for HCI+D are committed to creating diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible environments and we look forward to working with someone who shares these values.
Ready to apply?
Please apply via the Northwestern University job posting (and note that the job ID is 49284). We will begin reviewing applications immediately (continuing on a rolling basis until the position is filled).
(revised to fix a broken link)